The 25th of March is Waffleday! Yes, it is probably one of those made-up American days, but why not join the fun! Goodness knows we need it.
It reminded me of this delicious no-mess-no-fuss Breakfast Waffle Jan whipped up for us a while ago. A yummy weekend treat!
This was super quick and easy, so the ideal way to impress! Let me see if I can do it in 10 steps or less!
Step 1: Make the waffle batter – he used this Savoury Waffle recipe from Ina Paarman: https://www.paarman.co.za/all-recipes/savoury-waffles/
2. While the batter is resting, fry up some bacon and set aside (or a vegetarian option like veggie patties or roasted peppers)
3. Make a few waffles in your waffle maker and place in preheated oven to keep warm
4. Time to make some poached eggs! I have always found the idea of making poached eggs at home it quite intimidating but we discovered Poachies on Yuppiechef’s website. It can not be easier! Perfectly poached eggs in minutes without any hassles. Fried or scrambled eggs will also work well on the breakfast waffle.
5. Another culinary shortcut – heat up your favourite ready-made cheese sauce. Once again, Ina Paarman has got a whole range of tasty sauces that will satisfy your cheesy cravings.
6. Time to assemble!
7. Serve with a chilled glass of bubbly! A favourite of ours is Krone Cuvée Brut Rosé – the perfect naughty treat! A great way to add some pizzaz to your day.
You will need these ingredients:
For the Waffles:
- 100 g butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) full cream milk
- 2 cups (240 g) flour
- 2 t (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated cheddar cheese
Breakfast toppings used
- Bacon – oven-baked or fried
- 1 or 2 poached eggs per person
- Cheese or hollandaise sauce
The possibilities are endless! Add herbs, roasted tomatoes, ham, mushrooms, etc.