PUTTING THE SUPER IN SUPER FOODS
~ It’s all about what is in the ingredients ~
With the rise of healthy living, this popular trend has seen a noticeable shift not only from physical health but also the type of food we consume on a daily basis. Eating healthy, exercising regularly and monitoring one’s health has become a lifestyle choice consumers are opting for. Capital Hotel School, one of the leading training institutions for Hospitality Management and Professional Cookery recently spoke to their Group Executive Chef, Debby Laatz on the importance of adding a variety of super foods into your daily diet.
- What is a super food?
A super food can be defined as a nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being, 100% edible, unrefined, unprocessed and preferably organic according to Chef Debby. Basic super foods can include but not limited to:
- Pecan nuts – offer a variety of vitamins and minerals such as manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
- Apples – are extremely rich in important antioxidants, flavonoids, and dietary fiber. The antioxidants in apples may help reduce the risk of cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Wheatgrass – consist of several important antioxidants, including glutathione and vitamins C and E 3.
- Cinnamon – loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Avocados – contain a substantial amount of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids and over 20 vitamins and minerals.
- Sweet potatoes – a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6.
- Goji berries – low in calories, fat-free, a good source of fibre and a high-antioxidant.
- Kale – is among one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Not only is Kale loaded with antioxidant, but is an excellent source of Vitamin C and helps reduce cholesterol and the risk of heart disease.
- Umami flavours or savoury tastes is one of the five basic tastes (together with sweetness, sourness, bitterness, and saltiness) and powders such as hemp, chia and acai are equally beneficial and healthy
- What are key super food ingredients that can be added to any meal or recipe?
As mentioned, hemp, chia, acai and moringa leaf are all enjoyable additives to a healthy super food meal or smoothie. Whole grains such as quinoa, barley, mung beans, chickpeas and wheat germ are great substitutes with higher nutritional value than rice or potatoes. Goji berries, cranberries, nuts and seeds are fantastic super food additions that will enrich a bowl of muesli in the morning, smoothie or lunchbox.
- What is a typical super food meal / recipe?
A typical super food meal or recipe is one that contains as many nutrients as possible. A healthy diet needs to include carbohydrates (45–65% of calories), fat (20–35% of calories) and protein (10–35% of calories). Not only do these meals need as little unrefined and unprocessed food as possible, but need to be organic too.
- How does one plate a super food meal to look scrumptious and edible, as the misconception is that super foods are dull and boring?
With the variety of fresh foods and healthy nutrients available, it is easy to make a meal look appetising and inviting. Most people are under the impression that sachets of unrecognisable names are expensive, however this has proven to be untrue. By using simple ingredients such as moringa leaf, avocado, cacao and quinoa, can instantly transform a dull plate of food into a delectable photo worthy meal.
- Any tips to keep in mind when preparing or cooking a super food dish?
Fresh is best! The less fiddling and heating, the better. Keep it crisp and al dente to maximise the nutrients and textures.
|HOME MADE GRANOLA
½ cup raw oats
125 g nuts
65 g seeds
45 ml maple syrup or honey
15 ml coconut oil
3 ml vanilla essence
1 g salt
5g Acai Berry Powder
Greek Yoghurt & Honey
Makes 9 portions
Contains more than 4 superfoods
AVOCADO & HERB SUPERFOOD SHAKE
Almond milk to mix
3g Hemp Powder
100ml Greek Yoghurt
Contains 6 super foods
SUPERFOOD SNACK/FRUIT SALAD
3ml Acai Powder
3ml Hemp Powder
125g assorted berries
Mint leaves, lemon zest
Toasted flaked almonds
|Contains 6 super foods|
BLUEBERRY, ACAI BERRY KEFIR CRUMPETS
Almond milk to mix
3g Hemp Protein Powder
3g basil, finely chopped
2g mint, finely chopped
Zest of 1 lime
200ml Nuttywheat flour
7ml Baking powder
100ml KEFIR with 2ml Acai powder blended in
Blueberries as desired
Images and info provided #PR