As some of you know – I took a bit of a mini-vacation last week, so I actually missed the official #InternationalCakeDay – which was on the 20th of July (also my wedding anniversary by pure coincidence – or was it? ;))
But, in my mind – every day should be International Cake Day, so why not keep celebrating!
You probably saw the new range of All Gold Skweezi Jams in stores, I just love this South African first – ”no mess, no fuss” containers – even more convenient to use and to store!
And I’m sure you can figure out where I’m going with this – what do you get when you add delicious sweet jam to cake?
All Gold shared this delicious recipe with me – an airy Victoria Sponge with Jam filling – and they suggested that we “squeeeeeeeze a generous helping of ALL GOLD Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam for a moreish mouthful”!
Victoria Sponge with ALL GOLD Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam Filling
Serves: 4 – 6
Preparation time: 2 ½ hours, includes cooling time
· 250 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
· 240 g (2 cups) Golden Cloud self-raising flour
· 200 g (1 cup) castor sugar
· 4 extra large eggs
· 1 lemon
· ½ can (410 g) KOO Peach Slices, drained and chopped
· 125 ml (½ cup) ALL GOLD Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam
· 125 ml (½ cup) fresh cream
· 30 ml (2 tbsp) castor sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2. Grease and line 2 x 20 cm sandwich cake tins.
3. Beat butter and sugar together with an electric beater or wooden spoon, until very light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Sift in flour, finely grate over the lemon zest, fold it into the mixture (halve the lemon and save it for later).
6. Mix together until well combined.
7. Divide the mixture evenly between the tins.
8. Use a spatula to gently smooth the surface of the cakes and bake in oven for 30 – 40 minutes.
9. Insert a skewer in the middle of the cake; if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
10. Remove from oven and set aside to cool in tins for five minutes.
11. Remove from tins and place on cooling racks.
12. Allow cakes to cool completely before filling.
For the Filling:
1. Gently warm the ALL GOLD Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam in a pan over a low heat.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in sliced peaches.
3. Whip cream until it forms soft peaks, gently fold in castor sugar, squeeze in the juice from zested lemon.
To assemble the cake:
1. Place one cake upside down onto a serving plate.
2. Spread with jam mixture, allowing to cool before topping with sweetened cream.
3. Place the second cake on top and dust it with icing sugar.
I must try this!!
For more tasty ALL GOLD Jam recipes, crammed full of goodness, which taste real good, visit their newly revamped website: http://www.allgold.co.za/; Join the conversations on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllGoldSA or Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/AllGold_SA; and Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/allgoldsa
Info and images provided via PR